Friday, June 1, 2007

Western Tussock Moth (caterpillar)



Species name: Orgyia vetusta
Common name: Western Tussock Moth
Range: California north to British Columbia; east to portions of Idaho and western Nevada.
More information: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/nr/fid/fidls/wtussock.pdf
This caterpillar has the costume of a dancing dragon at a Chinese parade.

Be sure to see an image of what it will ultimately become (see especially the second image on the left, here). My wife says, "Look at that moth--it's evil! No way am I going to let you keep that caterpillar."

This was my first encounter with this species. I found this caterpillar on a leaf of Toyon at a shopping complex about three miles inland from the coast (Laguna Niguel/Dana Point area).

A local biologist I've been corresponding with wrote, "The genus name tells you how they mate. ;7) And they say scientists have no sense of humor...".

Well, they stand corrected!

No comments: